Current:Home > InvestSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Prosecutors ask to effectively close case against top Italian, WHO officials over COVID-19 response -Capitatum
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Prosecutors ask to effectively close case against top Italian, WHO officials over COVID-19 response
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:09:34
ROME (AP) — Rome prosecutors asked a judge Thursday to effectively close an investigation into Italian and SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank CenterU.N. health officials over Italy’s 2020 Covid-19 response without charges, on the grounds that no crimes were committed, a lawyer said.
Rome prosecutors Claudia Terracina and Paolo Ielo asked to archive the investigation that had grabbed headlines given Italy’s huge toll as t he first epicenter of the pandemic in Europe. While the judge can override the request, such a decision is highly unlikely.
Already prosecutors had closed their case without filing charges against three of Italy’s past health ministers. On Thursday, they asked a judge to archive the case against nine other officials, including a former top official at the World Health Organization, Dr. Ranieri Guerra, said his lawyer Roberto De Vita.
The investigation initially focused on whether delayed lockdowns in the hard-hit northern city of Bergamo contributed to the toll, but expanded to include whether Italy’s overall preparedness going into the crisis played a role.
Included was controversy over a WHO report into Italy’s response that was published by the U.N. health agency in May 2020 and then taken down a day later and never republished.
A former WHO official, Francesco Zambon, had suggested that WHO spiked the report to spare the Italian government criticism that its pandemic preparedness plan hadn’t been updated. WHO said it was pulled because it contained inaccuracies and was published prematurely.
Guerra had been the former head of the department of prevention in the Italian health ministry until 2017 and was a WHO envoy to Italy during the pandemic. De Vita said prosecutors determined the pandemic plan was in the process of being updated.
He welcomed the decision to archive the case, saying it should have been closed two years ago as soon as Guerra provided documentation to prosecutors showing he had acted correctly.
In a statement, Guerra said his reputation had been “gravely” harmed by the controversy and lashed out at those who had accused him of not protecting Italy.
veryGood! (22)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Palestinian-American mother and her children fleeing Israel-Hamas war finally get through Rafah border crossing
- Riley Keough Debuts Jet-Black Hair in Dramatic Transformation
- Oregon Democratic US Rep. Earl Blumenauer reflects on 27 years in Congress and what comes next
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- LL Cool J and The Roots remix 'Mama Said Knock You Out' for NBA In-Season Tournament
- At least 9 wounded in Russian attacks across Ukraine. European Commission head visits Kyiv
- Bankman-Fried’s trial exposed crypto fraud but Congress has not been eager to regulate the industry
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Starbucks holiday menu 2023: Here's what to know about new cups, drinks, coffee, food
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Amazon founder billionaire Jeff Bezos announced he's leaving Seattle, moving to Miami
- Meloni pushes change to let voters directly elect Italy’s premier in bid to make governments last
- Sam Bankman-Fried found guilty in FTX crypto fraud case
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Grandma surprised by Navy grandson photobombing a family snapshot on his return from duty
- Survey finds PFAS in 71% of shallow private wells across Wisconsin
- E-cigarette and tobacco use among high school students declines, CDC study finds
Recommendation
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
FTC lawsuit alleges Amazon tried to pull a fast one on consumers with secret price gouging
Trumps in court, celebrities in costume, and SO many birds: It's the weekly news quiz
Indiana AG Rokita reprimanded for comments on doctor who provided 10-year-old rape victim's abortion
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Live updates | Israeli troops tighten encirclement of Gaza City as top US diplomat arrives in Israel
An Indianapolis student is fatally shot outside a high school
Judge says ex-UCLA gynecologist can be retried on charges of sexually abusing female patients